1) Who are you?
Jessika Alice Steiner
2) Which 5 words best describe you?
Compassionate, creative, open-minded, loyal, stubborn.
3) When did you discover your creativity?
Very early on –As a child, I would spend hours in my Dad’s workshop repurposing bits of wood and metal to create ‘inventions’.
4) What’s the best lesson you’ve learnt along the way?
A ‘career’ doesn’t have to be set in stone, it can be meandering and evolve just like you do.
5) What’s your proudest moment?
The birth of my children
6) What’s been your best decision?
To take time out of my job in education and finally give my art practice the space and time it deserves.
7) Who inspires you?
Beauty found in unexpected places, other artists, my husband and my parents – My Dad is a sculptor Ulric Steiner.
8) What are you passionate about?
Social justice, equality, being kind, all forms of creative expression.
9) Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet?
Frida Kahlo –she is my creative heroine.
10) What dream do you still want to fulfil?
I need to get myself to Iceland asap. I’m so drawn by the variety of landscapes there – it makes me feel very small and equally curious.
11) What are you currently reading?
I am re-reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath as I haven’t read it since year 10 (interesting how you pick up on certain nuances reading it as an adult) and The Eye of The Reindeer by Eva Weaver – a novel set in Finland in the 40’s – it paints such beautifully evocative descriptions of the Sami people amongst their icey landscapes - I’m totally enthralled.